The Holiday Season is such a magical time of year. It’s a time of decorating your home, baking your favorite holiday treats, diffusing your favorite scents and dreaming a of white Christmas. But one of the things that you might not have checked off your list (and then checked it twice) is your family holiday card.
As you cringe at the thought of taking the perfect family picture for your card, you add even more things to your list.
- Find a photographer who is not booked up for the season.
- Pick out the perfect matching outfits. Are we thinking casual buffalo plaid or a formal Sunday best dress?
- Find distractions to get the kids to look at the camera.
- Do we want Fido in the photo and does he need a festive collar or sweater?
It is a lot of pressure and by the end of thinking about it, we are exhausted.
But let’s think about family pictures in a new way. It’s 2020 and we have all been in quarantine a majority of the year. While we all strive to have the perfect photo, maybe you should think about doing something original this year.
- Rock your favorite quarantine sweatpants and take a picture of the family comfortable on the couch.
- Take a photo of your family in masks since that is the way everyone has seen them in the past year. At least they will be recognizable.
- Take a picture of the family having a snowball fight.
- Take an authentic photo of your family doing something that you enjoy doing together. Maybe you enjoy cooking together, or reading, or even cleaning (this could be a really fun one for 2020); there are so many options of a fun picture you could take together with the family.
The important thing to remember is that people are used to getting the same holiday cards year after year. This is your time to shine! Be unique and make your card stand out with a fun picture and a catchy saying. You will find the process a lot less grueling and a lot more fun. It may inspire future cards that your friends will look forward to hanging up each year.