The first thing to do after you’ve decided to create a white paper is to find a solution to a problem or answer a pressing question in your field. For example, if you are a social media marketer, an excellent topic would be how to create a marketing campaign on Pinterest. Some things to remember when writing are:
- Give your paper a title that does not include the words “white paper” that will intrigue them enough to read the executive summary.
- Include an executive summary. This will contain a brief paragraph of information that introduces the problem and solution of your paper.
- Make your paper easy to read. Consider including graphs, images and charts when it is appropriate. Making it visually interesting will draw the reader’s eye to these facts.
- Write with a purpose. Back up the information you say with data from other experts and statistics if you have them.
- Don’t directly sell yourself. The point of a white paper is to inform, not advertise your products, services or even company. You will have a chance to talk about you in the “About Us” section at the end of the piece.
There are unlimited ways to get the word out about your white paper, but here are some suggestions for marketing your white paper:
- Create a press release to announce your piece.
- Promote and make it available on your website. Consider promoting it on your homepage while it is new.
- Push information out on each social media platform that you use and encourage your colleagues to do the same. Bring it into conversations with groups on LinkedIn and trending topics on Twitter.
- Pitch the press release to publications in your industry.
- Write a blog post about the topic, linking to your piece.
- Send an email to clients, potential clients, stakeholders and all employees.
- Consider creating a presentation around the topic and doing a webinar or present the information at a conference or event.
White paper marketing includes research and time to craft a well-written piece, but the impact it makes can be great for your business. If you are interested in getting these benefits without the hassle, contemplate outsourcing this project to copywriting professionals. SJC is a full-service marketing agency and our experienced writers and strategy consultants can create a white paper marketing plan for your company. Visit our website to get in touch with our team.